How to Get Rid of Chapped Lips Home Remedies and Prevention Tips
Your lips are dry, irritated and cracked. They may be painful or itchy. Dry lips can be caused by dry, cold winter weather, sunburn, allergic reactions, high temperatures, or simply getting them wet too often.
Our lips do not have sebaceous glands that keep them constantly moist and soft. They do not even contain much melanin, the pigment in our skin that allows us to sunbathe and offer a certain degree of protection against the sun. No wonder the lips can become dry and cracked like some old shoes.
If you want to keep your lips healthy, give them protection.
1. Use natural lip balm – a natural conditioner is a beeswax, which can be found in health stores. To be effective, always use it before leaving the house.
2. Some people use cocoa butter to heal chapped lips. It is also useful for cracked hands. Apply four times a day or more often if the lips are very dry. A handy remedy is olive oil, which effectively softens and moisturizes chapped lips.
3. If you have vitamin E capsules on hand, pierce one and apply the content to your lips.
4. If your lips are constantly dry, drink eight glasses of 250 ml of water a day – or even more if you can. Although this will not prevent the lips from drying out, it will still not make it worse.
5. Apply a sunscreen conditioner. The lips need as much attention as the skin. But be very careful! Stop using the conditioner if your lips become too red and itching. Some people have an allergic reaction to lip balms that contain sunscreen.
6. Avoid getting your lips wet. Saliva may temporarily moisturize your lips, but it evaporates quickly, leaving them drier than before. And saliva contains digestive enzymes that dry out tissues.
7. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can be applied to affected lips without any side effects. Those with chapped lips should apply essential coconut oil several times a day to keep their lips moist. This remedy is especially good if dry lips’ problem is due to the cold and dry weather. In addition to coconut oil, olive oil or mustard oil can also be used.
8. Cucumber – Another simple and natural way to tame chapped lips is to apply a slice of cucumber on the lips and rub lightly to allow the juice to penetrate the skin. Leave on the lips for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with water. This remedy can be repeated several times a day, as cucumber juice speeds up the healing process.
9. Aloe Vera – All naturalists appreciate the healing power of Aloe Vera for the skin. Those who have problems with their lips and want to give them better long-term hydration can apply a small amount of aloe vera gel on their lips daily. Aloe Vera gel has an unpleasant taste, but its therapeutic properties and ability to relieve pain are amazing and worth appreciating.
10. Rose petals – The rose is not only a beautiful flower to put in a vase, but one that can heal the cracked skin of the lips. Take a handful of rose petals and wash them in a little water. Then soak them in a little raw milk for a few hours. Then make a mash of petals in a blender and apply the cream thus obtained on chapped lips 2-3 times a day, especially every night, before going to bed. This remedy helps to maintain the necessary degree of moisture of the lips and their natural colour. Glycerin can be used instead of raw milk.
In conclusion, sometimes a little care can solve the problem of chapped lips. But if they remain cracked after you have cared for them for two to three weeks, then pay a visit to your doctor.